Launched in 1956 to replace the four-cylinder 100/4, the Austin-Healey 100/6 looked virtually identical to the outgoing model but had an air-scoop at the front of the bonnet to cool the more refined straight-six that nestled underneath, a specially tuned version of the BMC C-Series unit also used in the Austin Westminster saloon.
Some 2-inches longer in the wheelbase, it also had a wider, shallower radiator grille and a fixed windscreen (the 100/4 having a fold-flat ‘screen). The new engine increased power to 117bhp giving the 100/6 a top speed of 111mph and a 0-60 time of 10.7 seconds when tested by The Motor. A four-speed gearbox was standard with optional Laycock overdrive on 3rd and 4th. At first only available as a 2+2 (BN4), a two-seat (BN6) was also available from 1958.
Initially built in Longbridge, production shifted to Abingdon at the start of 1959, coming to an end in March of that year when the new Healey 3000 was launched. Some 14,436 100/6 models were sold in total, the vast majority being left-hand drive cars destined for export, mainly to America.
As the Heritage Certificate confirms, this BN4 was built at Longbridge in November 1956 and was a LHD model destined for Dusseldorf in West Germany. Originally Ivory White with a black interior, options included overdrive, wire wheels, a heater, laminated glass and an MPH speedo. At some point in the distant past it has been fitted with a later engine from a 1959 Healey 3000 MkI, this being a unit which produced 124bhp in standard tune.
The vendor acquired the car in a partially dismantled state in 2012 and immediately set about rebuilding it as a works rally replica. A professional motor engineer with numerous other Big Healey rebuilds to his credit, he spared no effort getting this one just right as it was to be his own personal car for fast road use and the occasional long distance tarmac rally.
An album of photos documents the rebuild process along with many invoices for parts used. The bodywork was treated to a chassis-up restoration and a works-type hard top fitted complete with roof vent. The engine has been fully rebuilt with many new parts and a high-lift camshaft fitted along with electronic ignition, an oil cooler, spin-off oil filter and alternator charging. The brakes and suspension were also fully rebuilt and a new wiring loom fitted.
The interior features a bolt-in roll cage, Sabelt race harnesses, plumbed-in fire extinguisher and a map reading light for night rallies. Since the rebuild was completed in 2013 the car has successfully completed several competitive events with no problems whatsoever. Only reluctantly for sale to fund another project, it is in good order throughout and sounds fantastic!
AMENDMENT: The vendor has informed us that the engine is 2,600cc, not 3000cc as stated in the catalogue.