Long, low and rakish, the Riley RM just oozes caddish charm and was the last series of cars to be developed independently by Riley before the 1952 merger of Riley's Nuffield Organisation with Austin to form BMC. Originally made in Coventry, by 1949 production had moved to the MG works at Abingdon.
While the RMA and RME made do with a 1.5-litre engine, the RMB and its successor, the RMF, had the 2.5-litre 'Big-Four' with twin camshafts mounted high at the sides of the cylinder block, hemispherical combustion chambers and twin SU carbs.
In RMF form the engine produced 100bhp giving the car a top speed just a whisker shy of the magic ton, driving through a four-speed gearbox linked to a new hypoid bevel rear axle by an open propshaft. In production for less than two years, just 1,050 RMFs were made before it was replaced by the Pathfinder in 1954.
First registered in Exeter in March 1953, this RMF has had five former keepers and went to sunny Barcelona in 1989 where it was to remain until it was acquired by the vendor in 2013. Used lightly over the next three years it then sprang a fuel leak and was parked up until he could find time to fix it. Unfortunately he is now about to lose his storage so the Riley must go.
The vendor states that: “The interior colour is dark green, the seats headlining and door panels are original and in good condition. The engine runs but needs a new fuel pipe from the tank before it can be driven again. The brakes are good. The overall condition for the year is good but it will require work to bring it up to scratch.”
This handsome and raffish saloon is on offer here at no reserve so the best bid takes it home.