product image

View online: https://www.brightwells.com/lot-details/519444

Key Information

Lot number
87
Sale Price
£19,656
Make & Model
Fordson Model 61 E88W 25CWT
Registration
VJ9266
Year
1936
Colour
Maroon & Black
Engine Size
2,226 cc
Chassis No.
52-14323
Engine No.
52-6050-0
Documents
Old style V5C; buff log book, correspondence; invoices; 6 folders of technical data and docs relating to the vehicle; MOT exempt

Full Description

1936 Fordson Model 61 E88W 25CWT Truck

Exceedingly rare V8 truck in a fully and wonderfully restored state. Reputedly carried Hereford's 'Mappa Mundi' during WWII - find another!

Dating from October 1936 this exquisite Fordson Thames model 61 (E88W) 25CWT flat bed forward control lorry features the seldom seen 2226cc flat-head V8 engine rated at 22Hp driving the rear wheels through a 3-speed manual ‘box.
Lovingly restored by a long-term owner from January 1968 who worked with the truck during its previous working life it was the subject of a complete strip-down and restoration over 15 years which included a bare metal repaint of the chassis, complete re-build of the bed with new timbers, a re-bore of the engine with new pistons, reground crank with new big-end and main bearings, new valves, a gearbox over-haul and new clutch, new wiring loom and over-haul of the self-starter, dynamo, magneto, brakes, tyres and internal re-trim. The results speak for themselves – its superb throughout and an absolute credit to the man and his tireless quest for the utmost quality.
Wearing an original Herefordshire registration, the truck has remained in the county originally being supplied to a local general goods dealer, one John Bridges (known as ‘Canny John Bridges’ who is referenced in a local historic interest piece in a Hereford newspaper article entitled "Memories of village life in a forever lost England" dated September 23rd 1999 relating to the local village of Pembridge where this chap used to deliver goods in this very truck on his monthly visits.
Refinished in its original burgundy and black, the truck’s second owners were Walter and Lou Davies of Allensmore, local stone masons, who re-painted the truck grey and according to an article in the Hereford Times dated Feb 8th 2001 transported Hereford’s ancient ‘Mappa Mundi’ to a place of ‘safe-keeping’ somewhere in Clee Hill during the 2nd World War to keep it safe. Since this article was mentioned on local radio, further information came forth about the truck’s movements with the map.
Another note on file reveals the truck, once finished with by the stone masons, was offered to the local Ford dealer who wasn’t interested (more fool them!) and suggested it be scrapped, so our long term owner bought the truck for £45 and set about the restoration, moving the truck between homes over the years and meeting a diverse array of people in his quest for parts and knowledge.
The history file is considerable, with at least 5 files of documentation relating to its restoration with invoices, technical info, bills for tools purchased, parts manuals, diagrams, correspondence along with the old style V5C, original continuation buff log book, news paper cuttings as referenced and other docs.
A wonderful opportunity to acquire a fully restored truck that has been sat in a showroom south of Hereford for several years amongst other highly polished prized possessions as ‘vehicle art’ to simply look upon and enjoy. Starting promptly and running well the truck moved about with ease once fathomed – the brake and accelerator are the ‘wrong’ way around, but it sounds as only a V8 could with a deep rumble.

This fine and now extremely rare truck would attract serious interest at any show, with people chomping at the bit to get a look inside at the oily bits. Given we sold a similar, but unrestored example recently for early teens, this looks huge value considering the time, money and workmanship that’s clearly gone into it.

For more information contact - will.daniels@brightwells.com