1935 Talbot AW75 Six-Light Saloon
deceased estate; Darracq coachwork; always in regular use with good history;
pleasingly original example of this fine quality tourer
Established in 1903 by Charles Chetwynd-Talbot,
Earl of Shrewsbury, the Talbot marque has a convoluted history
but the fact that they operated from a palatial works on Barlby Road in Acton,
with marble columns, gilded frescoes and stained glass windows, tells you all
you need to know about the quality of the cars.
Fast, elegant and luxurious, Talbots were fine touring
cars, easily on a par with the best that Sunbeam and Vauxhall had to offer.
Produced from 1932 – 1937, the Talbot 75 had a 2.3-litre ohv six-cylinder engine
rated at 18hp and could cruise happily at 60mph with a top speed of 75mph –
hence the name.
This Darracq-bodied Talbot 75 six-light saloon was
supplied new via Glovers of Ripon & Harrogate in January 1935 and comes with
a good history file documenting most of the subsequent owners.
In more recent times the car was acquired by Geoffrey
Bryson of Skipton in 1991 who was to keep it until 2005 and used it regularly
including tours around Northern France and various VSCC events. It was then
acquired by Guy Gregory of Hereford and London who did around 9,000 miles in the
car before selling it in 2016, getting an agreed insurance value of £25,000 in
2010. It then had another Suffolk owner until May 2017 when our vendor acquired
Many invoices from 1993 onwards attest to regular upkeep
over the years, much of the work being carried out by Talbot specialist Arthur
Archer of Essex who rebuilt the engine and the pre-selector gearbox in the early
1990s. The colour was changed from grey to blue in 1997, any bodywork issues
presumably being attended to at the same time, although there are no bills for
The brakes, steering and suspension were overhauled in
2004. The gearbox and pre-selector mechanism were overhauled in 2005, as was the
charging system. The blue leather upholstery was sympathetically restored by The
Leather Conservation Centre of Northampton in December 2006 at a cost of £3,513
and the radiator refurbished in the same year. A full flow oil pump, an electric
fuel pump, electric windscreen washers, modern choke cable and Halogen headlamp
bulbs have also been fitted in recent years to make the car more suited to
modern road conditions.
Most importantly the Talbot has always been in regular use
(always a good sign with cars from this era) and 13 old MOTs show the mileage
rising from 60,062 in 2004 to 69,900 in 2015, since when another 3,300 miles
have been added, the odometer currently showing 73,254 miles.
Aside from all the invoices, the history file also
contains a wealth of technical literature relating to the model, copies of
period road tests, club literature, copies of the original factory chassis
records and much else besides. The car also retains its original (transferable)
Yorkshire-issue number plate, YG 9716.
On offer here from a deceased estate and at a very
attractive guide price, this well-historied and pleasingly original Talbot is a
high quality car and doubtless has another 90 years of useful life ahead of it.
For more information contact James on 07970 309907 or