1928 Austin Seven Chummy
concours-winning condition some years ago and still in wonderful condition
Launched in 1922, the Austin Seven was an unprecedented
success that not only saved Austin but wiped out most other small cars and
cyclecars of the early 1920s. Simply yet brilliantly engineered by Herbert
Austin and his young protégé, Stanley Edge, at Austin’s Lickey Grange home, it
quite literally put Britain on the road – and, thanks to a 2-Guinea royalty on
each car sold, made Sir Herbert a very wealthy man.
Occupying barely more tarmac than a motorcycle and
sidecar, the ‘big car in miniature’ still had all the comforts of a family
saloon and boasted such luxuries as four-wheel drum brakes and (from 1924) an
electric starter. Built around an A-frame chassis, it was powered by a 10hp
747cc four-cylinder sidevalve engine mated to a three-speed manual transmission.
Available in numerous different body styles, it remained in production until
1939. Tough, easy to maintain and huge fun to drive, it has long been the
backbone of the vintage car movement.
One of the most sought-after Sevens of all is the
delightful Chummy four-seat tourer. This particular Chummy comes from the last
batch of magneto engine cars when they were still built with scuttle-mounted
headlamps, short radiators and the attractive early pattern wings.
First registered in Surrey in September 1928, PK 3289
comes with a buff logbook which shows that it was with a Mr Beck of Camberley by
1955, passing to a Mr Shuttleworth of Abingdon in 1958 who was to keep it until
1971. It was then acquired by a Mr Lucas of Cirencester (for £475) who
completely restored the car to such a high standard that it won the
National Austin Seven Rally concours trophy at Beaulieu in 1980
– this in a year when the standard of the entrants was judged "probably the
highest seen at a National Rally", according to a cutting on file.
In 2008 the Chummy was acquired by a Mr Clarke of
Cheltenham who kept it until 2016 when it appeared at an HVCA auction, the
description stating that it had only covered 6,000 miles since the restoration
and was "still in exceptional condition but now with a patina that only time can
give". Our vendor acquired the car from the auction to join a collection of fine
cars and has looked after it carefully ever since, including having the magneto
and the shock absorbers rebuilt and the fuel system overhauled.
Affectionately known as ‘Nelson’ (Piquet/PK -
geddit?), he remains in lovely condition throughout and comes with a set of
weather gear (hood and sidescreens) all in good order. He also retains his
original Surrey-issue number plate which is transferable but you wouldn’t, would
For more information contact James on 07970 309907 or