Make a bid
LOT 1 Reserve not met
Hammer Price (inc. buyers premium) £806,400
Hammer Price (inc. buyers premium) £806,400
250 SWB with FIA papers; built by GTO Engineering in 2010 to exacting standards;
bills from DK Engineering; maintained regardless of expense; ready to go; UK
Registered; the very best available
Built by the late great Mark Lyons of GTO Engineering, an exact tool room copy of the original 250 SWB Competizione. Included in the sale, the original matching numbers donor vehicle, a 1963 250 GTE Chassis No 4261 and all the remaining parts.
As many original Ferrari parts as possible were used in this build, including the engine, gearbox, rear axle, suspension, gauges, lighting, horns, Borrani wheels, steering wheel – even the ashtray and mirrors. This is not a recreation but an original Ferrari 250 which has been reincarnated!
The donor 250 GTE was imported from the States in 2010 as the history file shows including all the relevant paperwork and providence. The build by GTO took two years to complete. All fabricated parts have been produced from 3D drawings from the original cars which GTO have either worked on and/or restored. All of the original parts have been meticulously restored and upgraded by GTO and other leading marque specialist DK Engineering, as the history file again shows.
This car was No 3 of a run of 10 initial cars built by GTO and comes with a full FIA log book valid until 2025. This car has benefited from many upgrades to improve drivability, reliability and performance which are listed below:-
The engine has been upgraded to 275 spec therefore capacity has been increased to 3.3 litres.
The cylinder heads were CC’d for optimum performance and compression ratio. The valve guides have been modified to eliminate problems encountered with the original design.
DK Engineering Fast Road Cams have been fitted to improve torque, power and drivability.
The original type larger capacity 250 SWB sump has been fitted.
An electronic ignition system has been fitted to improve engine smoothness, reliability and power.
Bigger carburettors and increased inlet port sizes have been fitted to improve breathing.
The exhaust system is an exact copy of the original having the legendary SNAP tailpipes fitted.
The clutch has been uprated to cope with the hike in performance.
The original gearbox has been fitted with a GTO five speed conversion maintaining the original appearance from the exterior.
The rear axle has been rebuilt with the addition of a limited slip differential to improve traction.
GTO’s Fast Road Suspension kit was fitted, offering the best handling and ride possible.
The steering has been upgraded with EZ Adjustable Power Steering, all hidden away behind the dashboard.
The electrical system benefits from a dynalite generator to cope with modern demands and an electric cooling fan has been added for modern traffic conditions.
A discrete roll cage and 4 Point Harnesses were fitted along with regulation fire extinguisher for safety.
The car has covered some 5000 documented miles since build competing in many Ferrari Owners Club hill climb events and Classic Rallys, hence the fitment of a Brantz tripmeter and the stopwatches.
The car is presented with a full history file, new MOT and a full tool kit.
This vehicle has been meticulously maintained regardless of cost. It comes with the rather apt registration number – SWB 622, for which all the relevant paperwork is present in the history file.
The motoring press have described these cars as even better than the original cars to drive with all the sensational looks of what was described in period as the ultimate Ferrari GT car. This is most certainly true of this car! Truly a motoring icon!!
For more information - contact [email protected]
• Buyers Fees - We charge a Buyer’s Premium of 12% plus vat on the hammer price.
• Vehicles - This car is physically with us at our Easters Court premises so we have inspected both the vehicle itself and the associated paperwork.
• Registration Deposit- A deposit reservation (like a hotel/hire car booking) of £20,000 is needed to participate in the Auction. Please note that all deposit reservations are managed through Sagepay. Unsuccessful purchasers should note that refunds of deposits can take approximately 3 - 5 days, you will get an email at the time we have processed the release from our side and please check with your bank to ensure they do not have a longer return policy. Please contact the office on 0044 1568 611122 or email [email protected] for payment instructions if you are unable to do this by card.
• Reserve Price and Provisional Sales – This lot has a reserve price and the final highest bid on the lot may be accepted by the seller, even if it is below the reserve. Should the bidding finish at a value which is lower than the reserve, we will put forward this offer to the vendor. If the price is accepted, then the highest bidder will be the purchaser. If the price is not accepted, then we will contact the highest bidder. All bids are binding and you cannot withdraw any bids - you will be liable for all lots sold to you. We endeavour to get sales agreed and completed on the day of the auction. This is unfortunately not always the case, though we will deal with provisional bids in the order they are placed, so please ensure you are available.
• Commission Bids - We will accept commission bids up until 9am on Thursday 27th April February and only when the suitable deposit has been lodged. Please email [email protected] if you wish to leave a commission bid.
• Invoicing and Payments – The successful bidder will be invoiced no later than the day following the sale. The winning bidder’s deposit reservation will be captured immediately after the sale. The balance is required within 48 hours of the auction completion.
• Collection/Delivery - The vehicle can be removed from Brightwells’ site by appointment and should be removed by Friday 5th May to avoid storage charges. •Tips on Bidding - Register early and don’t bid late! And please note the following:
o Bids cannot be withdrawn at any time. All bids are contractually binding.
o If your bid has the value up to or at the reserve, the bid will be taken at it's maximum to the reserve.
o If your bid is forced above the reserve by other bidders, then our increment system comes into play and you will see what the next minimum bid can be on the bid page. If your maximum bid is above the increment, the bid will go to the increment, unless someone thereafter forces the bid up to your maximum. Bidders cannot place a bid with the same maximum that someone else has already placed, so a warning will tell you if your bid is the same. You may pay less than your maximum bid if you win, therefore, depending on other bidders.
o Further tips on bidding in this auction can be found in our Guide To Timed Auctions https://www.brightwells.com/guide-to-bidding-in-a-timed-auction/
RECOMMENDED HARDWARE & SOFTWARE Our website is built with the newest coding to provide security and the best experience. Older hardware and software that is not supported by manufacturers and providers is always best avoided, so we recommend that you use this IT specification to help you to bid:
- A stable internet/4G internet connection is essential
- Desktop/Laptop minimum browser requirements: Edge 15+, Chrome 55+, Firefox 52+, Opera 42+ or Safari 11+
- Mobile/Tablet minimum browser requirement: IOS 11+, Samsung Internet 6.2+, UC Browser for Android 12.12 +
Contact - [email protected]
* All charges are subject to VAT