1930 Alvis TJ 12/50 Tourer
Vintage chassis; original Cross & Ellis body; previous long-term owner; twin carb conversion; involved with the VSCC for almost 70 years
Chassis number 8677 still wears its original Cross and Ellis four-seat tourer body and was in its previous owner's hands from 1959 until just a few months ago.
Although registered in early 1931, we understand that the chassis was manufactured in 1930 making this a genuine Vintage 12/50. Details on file show very regular VSCC use in the 1950s and '60s.
The large file of correspondence suggests that the first owner was a consultant surgeon, named John Pocock. During the '30s and '40s, it had a couple of short term owners and during the war the tourer was kept on an RAF station in the UK. It was then owned by Roger Hargreaves who completely overhauled the engine in 1948. By 1950 it was in the hands of Mr. H.I.Saul who started GN 1944’s career within the VSCC. On file is an article from The Autocar, showing her taking part in Measham in 1951. The VSCC entry lists on file date the car as 1930 and include it in the Vintage class rather than the PVT entry suggesting a manufacture date at the end of 1930 rather than early 1931.
Further letters on file describe how Mr Saul had covered some 30,000 miles in GN 1944 in 1951 alone, travelling to France and Switzerland, alongside many other adventures and VSCC trials, singing the praises of how well the engine had been rebuilt and how much he ‘tremendously enjoyed’ owning the car. Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end and ownership was passed to engineer, David Hill.
Correspondence from Mr Hill and old VSCC records on file confirm another 30,000 miles covered, stating how reliable the 12/50 was. Well, apart from a couple of broken half shafts while competing in some ‘rather fierce Register driving tests.’ By the '60s, a few things needed attention, with oil pressure constantly dropping and wings apparently ‘falling off.’ Fortunately, he made the correct decision not to scrap it and work was started on its restoration in 1964. After moving to Scotland, work recommenced after a special shed was built! Driving was kept to a minimum up there, mainly due to the roads always covered in salt so after another 18,000 miles or so, it had its long overdue re-upholstering job and it was apparently as good as it could be, mechanically and cosmetically. Many of the invoices for this work are on file.
Mr Hill is still officially the registered keeper today, although due to ill health arranged to sell the car earlier this year. Our vendor bought it from him but has unexpectedly had the opportunity to buy a more suitable car so the 12/50 needs to go.
We understand that the car has been well maintained over the years by Mr Hill. The engine is original, apart from the obvious and advantageous twin carb conversion. Brakes, we are told, are very effective and there is no play in the steering due to replacement of the cross shaft supplied by the Alvis Register. It also has lovely Marchal headlights for those tricky dark lanes! The tyres all appear to be good, although the spare may need replacing. As can be seen in the photographs, the Hobson fuel gauge is missing, although the tubing which would operate it is present so reinstating at some point should not be too much trouble.
As priced, the car represents very good value, especially for a Vintage Alvis with original Cross and Ellis coachwork and makes for a comfortable and attractive tourer for four people with easy starting and which is ready to use and improve.
The accompanying file of paperwork is substantial and sums up the life of this interesting useable Alvis very well. Workshop manuals and original logbooks and instruction manual are all included.
For further information - [email protected]
* All charges are subject to VAT