Owned by Humber Register historian, John Tarring since 1954; driven to
the sale; comes with full hood and side windows; lots of spares also
The 14/40 Humber five-seat tourer is a quality Vintage Touring car with a 2,050cc inlet over exhaust engine, a four-speed gearbox, four wheel braking, the front the seat is adjustable and was one of Humber's most popular and successful models.
Humber Register Historian, John Tarring found this Humber 14/40 sticking out of a barn in Sussex in 1954 and was towed home behind his friends Sunbeam to Oxshott in Surrey. It received some recommissioning to get it up and running, then in the following years, rebuilds of all components until 1966 when it was laid up having been used for Holidays, VSCC and Inter Register Rallies.
As family came along it was pushed to the back of the garage and when time permitted the car had a full rebuild, exacting copies of the wings were made by Peels of Surbiton, re-upholstered by Larry Rose in the correct deep pleats with metal tongued buttons and re-paint in the correct Humber Mole, finally emerging in December 1989 and used regularly for weekly trips to Brooklands Museum where John volunteered in the library. In 1993 the car achieved a first class award in the VSCC Kentish Rally and in 2009 a trip down to Angouleme to watch the Circuit de Ramparts.
The 14/40 comes with a full hood, wind up side windows, a spare Magneto, tool roll and hand book.
The car can easily be started on the handle or by using the electric starter, has good oil pressure and will happily cruise along at 55mph.
John Tarring was meticulous in making sure the car was correct in every respect as an example of what a 14/40 looked like when it left the Humber works in Coventry.
There are a significant number of spares available by private agreement with the owner.
Contact [email protected]
* All charges are subject to VAT