1928 Austin Seven Chummy
Restored to concours-winning condition some years ago and still in wonderful condition throughout
Launched in 1922, the Austin Seven was an unprecedented success that not only saved Austin but wiped out most other small cars and cyclecars of the early 1920s. Simply yet brilliantly engineered by Herbert Austin and his young protégé, Stanley Edge, at Austin’s Lickey Grange home, it quite literally put Britain on the road – and, thanks to a 2-Guinea royalty on each car sold, made Sir Herbert a very wealthy man.
Occupying barely more tarmac than a motorcycle and sidecar, the ‘big car in miniature’ still had all the comforts of a family saloon and boasted such luxuries as four-wheel drum brakes and (from 1924) an electric starter. Built around an A-frame chassis, it was powered by a 10hp 747cc four-cylinder sidevalve engine mated to a three-speed manual transmission. Available in numerous different body styles, it remained in production until 1939. Tough, easy to maintain and huge fun to drive, it has long been the backbone of the vintage car movement.
One of the most sought-after Sevens of all is the delightful Chummy four-seat tourer. This particular Chummy comes from the last batch of magneto engine cars when they were still built with scuttle-mounted headlamps, short radiators and the attractive early pattern wings.
First registered in Surrey in September 1928, PK 3289 comes with a buff logbook which shows that it was with a Mr Beck of Camberley by 1955, passing to a Mr Shuttleworth of Abingdon in 1958 who was to keep it until 1971. It was then acquired by a Mr Lucas of Cirencester (for £475) who completely restored the car to such a high standard that it won the 18th National Austin Seven Rally concours trophy at Beaulieu in 1980 – this in a year when the standard of the entrants was judged "probably the highest seen at a National Rally", according to a cutting on file.
In 2008 the Chummy was acquired by a Mr Clarke of Cheltenham who kept it until 2016 when it appeared at an HVCA auction, the description stating that it had only covered 6,000 miles since the restoration and was "still in exceptional condition but now with a patina that only time can give". Our vendor acquired the car from the auction to join a collection of fine cars and has looked after it carefully ever since, including having the magneto and the shock absorbers rebuilt and the fuel system overhauled.
Affectionately known as ‘Nelson’ (Piquet/PK - geddit?), he remains in lovely condition throughout and comes with a set of weather gear (hood and sidescreens) all in good order. He also retains his original Surrey-issue number plate which is transferable but you wouldn’t, would you?
For more information contact James on 07970 309907 or email [email protected]
* All charges are subject to VAT